A colorful array of garnishes offer a fresh contrast to this bold, smoky chicken soup from Nashville’s Mas Tacos Por Favor.
- 1 4-pound chicken
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 dried chipotle chiles
- 1 jalapeño (with seeds), halved lengthwise
- 7 cilantro sprigs
- 3 tablespoons(or more) fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- 5 corn tortillas, cut in 1/2″-thick strips
- 2 ears of husked corn, or 2 cups frozen, thawed corn kernels
- Chopped fresh cilantro, halved cherry tomatoes, avocado wedges, queso fresco or mild feta
- Bring chicken, onion, carrot, garlic, chipotles, jalapeño, and 16 cups water to a boil in a large pot; skim foam from surface. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, skimming the surface frequently, until chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Strain broth into another large pot. Return chiles to broth, if a spicier broth is desired; discard remaining solids. Shred chicken meat; discard skin and bones. Transfer chicken meat to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, set pot with strained broth over medium heat and add cilantro sprigs. Bring broth to a simmer; cook until reduced to 8 cups, about 1 hour. Discard sprigs and chiles, if using. Stir in 3 Tbsp. lime juice. Season with salt, pepper, and more lime juice, if desired. Add chicken to broth. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled.
- Attach deep-fry thermometer to the side of a large cast-iron skillet or other heavy skillet. Pour oil into skillet to a depth of 1″. Heat over medium heat until thermometer registers 350°–360°. Working in batches, fry tortilla strips, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden brown, 2–3 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with salt.
- Cook corn over a gas flame or under a broiler, turning occasionally, until charred in spots. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut kernels from cobs in strips. Discard cobs. (Alternatively, cook kernels in a large skillet over high heat until charred in spots.)
- Rewarm broth with chicken. Divide soup among bowls. Top generously with corn, tortilla strips, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, and crumbled queso fresco.