My daughter Alissa loves this salad!! Note: She doesn’t like Kale or Brussel Sprouts. You don’t have to love these two ingredients to love this salad…it just kinda wins you over. Believe, people…believe.
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
A bright alternative to heavy sides, this salad features Tuscan kale.
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 lb. total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely grated Pecorino
- Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend; set aside to let flavors meld. Mix thinly sliced kale and shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
- Measure 1/2 cup oil into a cup. Spoon 1 Tbsp. oil from cup into a small skillet; heat oil over medium-high heat. Add almonds to skillet and stir frequently until golden brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer nuts to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle almonds lightly with salt.
- Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted almonds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover almonds and let stand at room temperature.
- Add dressing and cheese to kale mixture; toss to coat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with almonds.